Saturday 14 April 2012

Brighton Farmers Market

I've decided recently that i'm going to be more adventurous with food, make things more exciting but stick to a (not always so rigid) student budget. Part of this is involving how and where I shop, no more lazy supermarket home delivery orders, So this morning my housemate and I ambled down to Brighton Farmers market in the North Laines.

Every Saturday and Wednesday internet posts were telling me it was going to be super busy and to get there early (it opens at 10), we arrived at about 10.40, not too busy. It was not what I was expecting really. Much smaller than anticipated and a little bit 'try hard'. Clearly not a natural development it seems to be have been plonked there some time in the 21st century and it's quite obvious, unlike the more traditional markets i'm used to (although to be fair they are actually in the country or small towns, not a bustling city). It was also a bit 'hippy' but then again, so is half of Brighton so it was expected.

Hatty, she was enjoying a locally produced Apple and ginger Juice. I tried some, delish.
This aside it was actually rather pleasant. First things first we had cup of tea and a bacon roll (my midlands housemate calls it cob, I assure her that us southerners won't have any idea), in the cafe at the end. Not toooo pricy and pleasant outside seating and friendly staff. Great bacon 'cob'.
Not as much produce as I might have hoped but some great looking cakes (we had to restrain ourselves) and my first purchase was a delicious loaf of sourdough bread (which i've already begun to devour) and some spiced buns. My main reason to visit was to get some cheap (but hopefully local ish) veg. Good veg selection and the woman selling it was great, just as a market trader should be I think, a little loud but fun and jokey which I liked. Pretty cheap too, at least cheaper than Sainsburys and I got some great looking purple sprouting broccoli which i'm fairly excited about (sad I know).

All in all a nice morning out, and my mothers a bit happier i'm actually eating some vegetables (she's adamant i'm going to get scurvy one day!).
A stash of goodies

and heres there website for good measure. http://www.brightonfarmmarket.co.uk/Home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment